Monday, August 22, 2016

Harvest Monday; August 22, 2016

Yes, back on Harvest Monday. See Dave at Our Happy Acres!

Garden- wise, beyond peppers and watermelon, everything is pretty much had it. I know this is a repeat of every week but this simmer has been brutal for us gardeners (another repeat.) As I mentioned in the previous post, we took a small trip to the mountains and I just reviewed the garden when we got back Sunday. I also caught up my spreadsheet, here.


As I said I did a quick tour Sunday evening. 
Hope you can see four watermelon. That's whats there. 


Hot peppers and banana peppers seem to love this weather. My bell peppers all have bad areas on them. 




Marigolds. I have touched on them previously. I have done nothing to these. Maybe that's what I have to do with everything. 


Overall. Pretty sad. Got my work cut out for me next weekend. 


Our vacation wasn't a full week but a nice break from everything that seems to go in our daily lives. We are always busy with something. My oldest said such as much until he bought his house. Now I think he understands. Anyway we had a nice time and in looking at the pictures I see a few more upcoming posts so stay tuned. I will leave a few here. 

The house we stayed at had hummingbird feeders and I counted 10-12 at one time, fighting each other to eat. And boy do they eat. And very territorial. Actually kinda mean.


Biltmore. About 179,000 square foot. You want to clean it? 


70'-0" tall banquet room with organ. Note the carvings on the balcony. Everything in this home is hand- carved. Everything.


Atrium. Now that's a greenhouse. 


Part of the gardens. There's 30 acres of them. Needless to say this was at the end of our day at Biltmore and we were tired of walking. 


View from the top of Craggy Gardens in black and white. Sometimes I like to see black and white photos as I think they lend a different perspective. 


I took this from the deck of the house Sunday morning before leaving for home. We stayed in Little Switzerland. Notice the fog in the valleys. Yes, we hit a little of that heading home. 


That's it for now but as I said I have some great information for posts. Stay tuned. 



3 comments:

  1. I spotted 3 watermelon - maybe one is hiding! We went to Asheville two years ago in September. I loved walking around the Biltmore estate. They lived large there, for sure. We took one of the 'secret' tours, the butler tour I think. Hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chile pepper plants are loaded. Pretty amazing. Looks like you had a fun vacation and got to see a very interesting estate. Just look at that atrium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's too bad about the gardens - but at least you will be getting a few good eats for your efforts. As I said about the single squash on my mile, long squash vine....better than nothing! And looks like you had a wonderful trip - I really LOVE the black and white photo of the foggy mountains.

    ReplyDelete