Monday, June 19, 2017

Harvest Monday; June 19, 2017

Happy Harvest Monday to all.

Things are starting to pick up around WOFdog Farms here growth- wise. I did the first picking on the green beans, a few cucumbers, and pulled a couple of the garlic out. Tomatoes and peppers have a long way to go. And I am going to have to do some war on pests.

First lets start with the bad. Those green beans seedlings and sweet potato slips I planted a few weeks ago? Beans were devoured by slugs more than likely and either they or rabbits got to the sweet potatoes.


Thankfully they seem to have re- grown some leaves and may get through this but I'm not happy about the beans. I bought some slug/snail killer but am going to wait a few days since its supposed to rain tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to replant the beans. Sorry about the weeds but I did clear out a lot Sunday.

The good. Green beans. I grow one type, kentucky bush, mainly for canning for meals the rest of the year. The slugs got up in one of the raised beds and took to some plants but not all. I found their entrance and hopefully cut them off.



The pictures are sideways and I couldn't fix them, sorry. These plants are prolific producers but are hard on the back. Pole beans for next year.



Here's the damage I did on the beans.


Resting on top are 2 elephant garlic that I pulled since the stems were wilted away. We managed to get 10 quarts of canned beans out of them.

I staked up all of the tomato plants and found one hiding. It's a costoluto genovese and they seem to produce well and have a nice look about them.


Cucumbers are finally setting some fruit AND I found out that some sickly squash plants I bought were actually cucumbers too. So now we how 11 plants of cukes. Can you say pickles?



There were a couple more but I didn't get them in the photo.

I've been hardening off my new roma plants and should have them in the ground next weekend.


Sunday I did a lot of picking, weeding, staking, ran the water line for the plants in the field but I don't have enough drip emitters to run to all of the plants yet. 




This young bird wasn't too happy with me being out in the garden. Squawking at me Saturday night and Sunday. Look on the pole.


Here's the updated totals for the year.


Well that's it for me for the week. I'm tired and still have a few things to do. I sometimes wonder how all of you have the energy to write as much as you do :) Harvest Monday is hosted by Dave at Our Happy Acres


5 comments:

  1. We only grow climbing beans now firstly they are much easier at harvest, secondly the slugs are less likely to get at the beans and the beams don't get as dirty. And thirdly they take up far less room for the same harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those beans - 10 quarts!
    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come to prefer the pole beans too, they're easier to harvest and last longer. I'm growing a few bush beans for an early taste though. Too bad about the sweet potatoes, I know bunnies do like them and the beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a ton of green beans, it's great that you got so much canned already. I grow bush beans as well and they are definitely murder on the back. Wow, and that's terrible that they had the cucumber plants mislabeled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are having a real battle on your hands what with the slugs and rabbits! I sympathise. Your beans look really good and should keep you going a -while!

    ReplyDelete