Sunday, June 9, 2024

One Step at a Time

 This seems to be the running theme around here lately. Things are being accomplished around here; one step at a time. Slowly but surely. Between the Etsy business, working full time, dogs, cat, chickens, bills, house, eating, gardening and home repairs, any project takes time. I'm not a spring chicken either, and we live in what happens to be the hottest place in NC. This has been confirmed by others nearby. 

This weekend I dedicated my time to replacing our front steps to the house. For whatever reason gutters and downspouts were options on our house. The way the upper roof angles come together, rain will pour off of the roof right onto the steps. So after some time they rotted out and have been needing replacing. 


Look bad don't they. Well after a trip to the big big home improvement store and $400.00 later, supplies were acquired and demolition began. It took me most of Saturday to get rid of the old stairs and bust up the concrete holding the posts in, and get the new risers and posts put back in. I purchased pre- cut stairs risers thinking they would be easier. The posts are 6x6 treated and very heavy. I quit about 3:30 or so because it was just too hot for me and the gnats were terrible. Sunday had me putting the new treads in and a few other necessary details. Next weekend I plan on forming up and pouring concrete around the base to keep the wood out of the dirt, doing the handrails and front pieces. The dogs are freaked out by the steps but they are almost identical to the old ones. The first step is about 1" too high so I may have to build a small forward step. 



I moved the old stairs to the burn pile but still need to clean up the old cement. They actually turned out better than I thought they would. 

The vegetable portion of the garden produced our first harvest of peppers, We got some jalapenos and bell peppers. Not mush but they are nice. We have some cayenne that are close to picking. 


We'll start out front this week. My daylilies are about done for the year. 




Vegie garden is doing well. And be surprised; I got tomato stakes at the store on Saturday too! We can't forget that we have basil growing.


There are cayenne's in there.


Onions are onioning.


Tomatoes are getting bigger. 







There were no chicken shots last week and the girls say high.





Ms. TD bought a windmill three weeks or a month ago and we got it up this weekend too. 


The pear and peach trees are starting to sag pretty good so there may be some staking soon.



Forgot the garden shot. 



I think I may just start working on the weekends at around 5:30 or 6:00 AM. Only way I am going to get everything done that I need to do. 

WOF of the week. All three were beside Ms. TD while she was working on the grocery list. 


Until next time, stay cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment