Sunday, December 18, 2011

Swift Kick in the ...........

     The wife reminds me today, "you need to update your blog you know." I know and it has been a while. Things seem to get in the way but I promise more effort will be put into this. I did rejoin Facebook but having been on it for a while, I believe I may just deactivate it for good. Nothing but the same comments from the same people. So now I sit here on the love seat, the WOF snoring in her new Christmas bed and An American in Paris on TV, I write. Type actually but you get the drift.
     With the holiday season quickly approaching there are a plethora of movies and "specials" being shown on every TV station. I normally don't mind sitting through a few but the new ones really want to make me throw up. It's like they cookie- cutter them from one main idea; Old flames reunite in their hometown, not looking for anything special but get together anyway on Christmas Eve! There's only so many ways you can tell that story. This holds no interest for me. I do like watching the old classics and have reminded myself that we do get TCM on our TV. I watched a great story this morning, a movie called All Mine to Give. The wife was shopping so I sat down with the intention of watching my standard Sunday fair of This Old House, Ask This Old House, America's Heartland, etc. I know, an exciting, riveting schedule of TV bliss to be sure but somehow I couldn't turn away from it. Very  good story about a young boy doing what he could to help his younger siblings find homes after his parents died. Here's a link if you are interested in it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050112/. Not exactly a heartwarming, feel good holiday movie but you can't stop watching. This will a purchase after the holidays for sure. And if that wasn't enough, The Shop Around the Corner came on next. If it's got Jimmy Stewart in it, I watch it. I have seen this one a few times and it's worth watching every time. Both of these reminded me of a movie I happened across last year with Edward G. Robinson called Our Vines Have Tender Grapes. Another purchase after the holidays. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037963/ I know, old movies, old movies, etc, etc. I am just a big fan of the older black and white classics. So with that being said I have decided to do a movie review for every post. The movie will be a classic venture, black and white if possible (although there are a few good colorized films.) Just as I say this State Fair from 1945 comes on. And tell you my opinions on it. There will be some that I know but I will throw caution to the wind and pick ones that I have never heard of before as well. I have to admit that I searched ahead on TCM's schedule and tomorrow they are running about five Cary Grant movies in a row, and I have set the DVR for two of them. Another actor I will not miss. Maureen O'Hara is another. Audrey Hepburn........ :) I think I am living in the wrong time. Things seemed simpler back then. No I Phones, email, internet.
     I keep tabs on a webcam from Cran Sur Sierre, a resort in Switzerland from time to time.
An image from 11-27-2011. This is the latest I've seen up here that it hadn't snowed.

Last two images show before and after the snow. These views are over the eighteenth green of the golf course, one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen to play. I hope one day to get the chance to play there. 

Here's an image looking over the small community at the resort. If you're interested, here's a link to the resort, webcams listed on the right. http://www.crans-montana.ch/

     The wife was offered free tickets to the UNC basketball games a while back so we took the boy and one of his friends and had a great time. Not so much fun getting there but fun non the less. Many thanks to the benefactor. 
Even wore blue in support of the home team. 

     Holidays approaching and we are getting close to getting the house in order. More cleaning and straightening to be done but that's it. I actually broke down and cleaned out the fish tank. Also managed to kill the three fish we had but at least the tank is clean now. And you know the old saying, clean tanks makes for fish. Maybe not. Anyhow here's a shot of the main tree and a partial shot of the Santa collection. Sorry if it's blurry but it is what it is. 

WOF of the Week. Taking it easy on Sunday. 


I will post later this week as I can't sit here for three hours at a time writing. Typing. Whatever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment