Sunday, March 11, 2012

Red Solo Cup, I Fill You Up

Got most of the tomato seedlings moved yesterday to their new homes until planting. I had purchased about 20 small pots for the Dollar store a while back but after looking at what I had to move, there weren't going to be enough. Back to the Dollar store and I picked up four 12 packs of red Solo cups for the job. They are easy to write on, can be reused time and time again, and you have that handy song playing in your head as you work. I got some good soil (Miracle Grow mix) and just transferred the peat pots to the cups with the mix. I drilled a hole in the bottom of each cup for drainage. I had about 8 to 10 seedlings of each variety but kept about 6 of the healthiest and the others were left to their own devices. Pansies! I still have half of another plat to go but those will have to wait for a few days. Outside work today.

Sing along now.....


I put a little of the good dirt in the bottom, made the transfer of the "chosen one" to it's new home, then filled in around and on top of it. 




I saw this little Tomato kit at the Dollar store and was intrigued. Can you grow a healthy tomato plant with their supplied dirt, container, and seeds for $1.00? Four quarters later I was determined to find out. A compressed dirt pellet, small pack of Beafsteak seeds, and a small pot. First, after you add the water to expand the pellet, you end up with twice as much dirt as you need. They give you about 20 seeds in the pack. So far exceeding my expectations. I got it all planted up so now we'll see if it lives up to it's claim. Hey, for $1.00 you can get a viable, healthy tomato plant, why not. I still have seeds left over so if these sprout good, I'll plant the remaining. Free seeds at that point.


The WOF came outside with me to spend quality time. When I started rustling the dirt bag her first though was "food." So I had to open it and let her take a peak inside to make sure it wasn't for her.



Well the excitement of food was apparently too much for her so she decided to spend time with Mr. Sunshine. Man she's spoiled. 

Off to tear out the beds and 'gasp!', mow. Shoot, got to get grass seed too. And a shovel. Wheel barrow. Power washer. Motorcycle. Blower. Mulch.

Seeing if you were paying attention. Enjoy the day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment