Monday, May 6, 2013

Where Is Warmth, and my Bees?

Where are the warmer temperatures? I just looked back to last years' weather: May 1st to the 5th, 2012= 86, 91, 91, 90, 84 degrees; May 1st to the 5th, 2013= 62, 65, 69, 64, 60 degrees. Firstly, I really don't mind too much the cooler temperatures, but the rain and cloudy days are getting a little annoying. Secondly I live in the south; it's not supposed to be like this now. Lastly, I know the hot temperatures are coming so you can bet that I'll be bitching about them later this year. And yes firstly is a word.

The one thing I will say, the peas LOVE this weather. They are still going like crazy with blooms everywhere.  Here's a comparison from April 1st to May 2nd.



Another surprise is my tomatoes. They are not full like last year but I have my first blooms already. 


Everything else is just cruising along, going with the flow.
Peppers now flowering.


My grown-from-seed Candytufts are getting close to flowering too. 


One good thing is I haven't had to water anything. I actually left some left- over paste tomatoes out on the back deck in their solo cups as I didn't have room for them this year and they're still growing. Maybe that should be the premise of my gardening this year; do as little as possible. Hhhmmmmmmm. Maybe. 

One thing that has caught my attention on the news lately is the decline of the Honey Bee. You know as well as I do that this can be a very serious situation if action is not taken to protect these colonies. Decimation of the world pollinators? I don't think so! I plant flowers around my garden as well as in my garden just to attract as many bees as I can and don't use any products that would be harmful to them. I even talk to them and give them the right-of-way in the garden. I can't say that about all of the farms in my area so that may be worth looking in to. Here's a link to The Honey Bee Conservancy if you want to check them out.

Sorry about the lack of WOF pictures but there's only so many comatose pictures you can take of her. And Chewie is getting just as bad as her. Next time I promise. Until then, keep your buzz on and beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee happy. 







1 comment:

  1. I had bees all over my hollies a few weeks ago. Now? Nothing. But the only thing blooming right now is the strawberries. You're WAY ahead of me. My sweet peppers are only a few inches high.

    ReplyDelete