Monday, July 1, 2013

Harvest Monday 07/01/2013


Happy Monday to everyone. Visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

Have a good harvest this week which makes me happy. A lot of hard work  and bug fighting went into this one.


Harvesting the remaining potatoes and all of the onions really set it up for this week. The potatoes were ready to come out and I had already decided to do them and the onions were more of a Oh Crap we'd better get them out as a few were starting to rot off in the ground. 

With this week's harvest we officially pulled in 56 lbs. of potatoes. Not very big as some I've seen but they will be great in soup we plan on canning later.


Pulled and getting a tan. Better than those "fake bake" places on the skin I've heard. Eventually they made their way onto the back porch to dry out for the next few weeks before heading into storage and other peoples' homes. 



 
 
We were also able to pick off some tomatoes, cukes, squash, and some green beans that aren't going too crazy right now.
 
I took the two beds where the onions and potatoes were, through some cow manure in, scattered the straw and tilled everything up good. Now waiting for fall crops.
 
 
A quick garden tour.
 
Odd looking sprout off one of my maters.
 
 
Weird to see it go from one side. Never happened to me before but there's always a first time. 

 
I told you they found me. All I have been doing is scraping and scraping. 

 
I didn't think my melons were going to do anything this year but I have been proved wrong. Got to build a fence for them to go up now. 

 
That's the tour, sorry. Spent more time working and weeding than anything else. We finally did get around to making some salsa Saturday night and some pasta sauce tonight. 3 pints of salsa (medium mix and it still had bite so I may not make the hot stuff) and 4 3/4 pints of pasta which the 3/4 pint was enjoyed this evening.
 


 
Thought about planting some fruit trees around the property to get some jams and jellies too. I have really expanded the garden this year and am going to expand it some more for this fall. It's a little more work but not as much as I had thought it would be. I have most of my seeds, with a few that I need to get started for transplants, so I am hoping for continued success this fall. Broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, lettuce, brussel sprouts, and turnips to name a few. Probably looking at around the end of July/mid- August for those to go in.
 
This week: 108.96 lbs.
YTD: 146.7 lbs.
 
Good luck to everyone!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Amazing numbers and your harvest is looking good. Stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an impressive haul of onions and potatoes. I like the layout of your gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great harvest there! Love your beautiful garden and all that blessed sunlight! I am so surrounded by trees I really envy anyone who has some nice open land. Like you I am also on the squash beetle patrol. Last year they devastated my squashes and I've already been scraping eggs off this year. Maybe this year I can stay ahead of them! Good luck fighting yours off!

    ReplyDelete